I did it. I sent my little boy off into the real world. My little 4 year old is in preschool.
Last year I did a joy school type of preschool with another mother from our church. It was good. I liked it. I thought about trying to get a group together this year until I realized that I could enroll Marshall in kindergarten NEXT fall. I bout died! I still am about to die! He is my only baby! He can't possibly be old enough to go to kindergarten!
I have been having a serious debate with myself. I have asked every mother about her opinion so I welcome yours as well. Marshall has an August birthday, which means if I enroll him next year he will be one of the youngest in his class, or I can wait another year and enroll him when he is 6. What should I do???
That is why I decided that I had to enroll him in preschool so I could gage his progress. So far, he loves loves loves it!
He had no problem walking into school and waving me goodbye. He (nor I) cried at the departure. I did hold my breath as I watched his teacher point him to his hook. He looked puzzled and from the door I wanted to rush in and explain to him that he needed to hang up his backpack. But I didn't, I followed the instructions given to the parents by the teacher to not go into the classroom. Iwalked away knowing he'd figure it out.
We sure love our little Marshman!
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
The First Day of Preschool!
Posted by The Emericks at 8:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
So cute!! Isn't sending them off to school SUCH a big deal!! I am impressed you didn't cry! =) So my opinion on age at entering kindergarten...... my first thought is it seems like it would be better to be the older one instead of the younger one, but then again you'd just have to consider how well he does this year, how much he really wants to go, and his maturity level emotionally and socially. So if he's totally ready I don't think it'd be bad to be the youngest in the class. That being said, I just sent Gorden to Kindergarten last month and it kills me that he's not home anymore!!! Those five and a half tiny years went by so so so fast, and of course people always tell you it will, but i can't believe its here and its tough!! So if it was me making that decision on Gorden if he had an August bday, i'd wait! =) good luck!
I can't believe he's old enough to go to preschool either! He's such a little stud too! As for kindergarten, I would say wait. My sister in law was in the same situation & they waited & they were glad they did & he had 3 years of preschool. Also, my birthday is in July & I always hated being the youngest of my friends--especially when it came to driving & dating! But, there's going to be pro's & con's either way. That's a hard decision though, but I know you'll make the right one for your family :) Hope you guys are doing well & tell Mitch hi for us!
Most people don't like it when you give your opinion on stuff like that. That's why I always liked you Anna, you are so open to learning what works for other people and then making your own decision. You probably know that we had all our summer babies (all the boys) wait. It's so much less stress on those tiny guys if they do wait. And I have had Kindergarten teachers tell me thank you many times. They can always pick out the late birthdays, even if they are mature for their age. We debated with Max, because his birthday is May 31st, but in the end I decided to keep him with me. Why stress him out and thereby myself. Also like Kelly said, 5 years goes by so fast and once they are in school it's amazing how little time you have with them! Cherish the time!
He looks darling in his photos!
Cute pictures! I'm glad you survived the next milestone!
As far as his bday and kindergarten, just see if he's ready. Nobody knows better then his mama if he's ready. If you think he is ready send him. Somebody has to be the youngest. There are 2 girls in my daughters class who have August bdays and they are loving kindergarten and fit right in. Good luck!!
As others have said, I would just gauge it and whatever you and your preschool teacher feel would be best. Both options have pros and cons so any decision you make will be with good intentions.
For example, I am also an August birthday and was always the youngest in my class. I didn't mind being young - I only minded that as a summer birthday I never got my locker decorated =( - and I was also more mature for my age as I was the youngest in my family.
My oldest nephew however is also an August birthday and my sister kept him back because she didn't feel he was ready. He's now ginormous for his class and slightly immature for his age because he is around so many younger kids each days. At the time though, she knew he wasn't ready.
So, to summarize, either way you do it there will be pros and cons and I wasn't helpful at all. =) Just do what feels right for you!
Oh my goodness! I don't have any advice but just wanted to say hello! I wanted to tell you that Todd and I have a little 4 month old. Send me your email address so I can invite you to our blog alexisclaybaugh@gmail.com. Your little boy is so cute!
ADORABLE!!! Oh my heck he is SO SO SO CUTE!!! I am sure you are the best momma around!! I am sure by the end of this year you will have a much better sense of whether or not to put him in Kinder. I say if he's ready- why hold him back? If you think in way long terms... he could get a whole year of college done before his mission! hahah
OH my goodness! I can't believe that he is off to Kindergarten. A bittersweet moment I am sure! It would be hard to see them go off to school when you are so used to him entertaining you all day!
Dave and I had the same issue with ela having her birthday in july, we obviuosly decided to hold her back a year, my mom did it with my sister jaymilyn and my aunt did it with two of her kids. So I thought it isn't going hurt her only help her be ready instead of regreting later on, when she maybe would have fallin behind. We are happy with our descion. Good luck! By the way he is looking very handsome and grown up! We miss you all! Loves
watch out... all those kindergarten, first AND second grade girls are gonna be ALL over him at recess!! He's SOO CUTE! I'm still not opposed to setting Ava and Marsh up one day (in like 35 years!)
Kindergarten is a HUGE step, you're an amazing Mama!!! love you much, hugs to your boys!
Post a Comment