Sunday, August 16, 2009

Marshall turned three! Can you believe it?!


Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Marshall! Happy Birthday to you!

I am sure that every mother feels her child is special. Every mother should. I want you to know, I know that Marshall is special. As far back as I can remember I have always wanted to be a wife and mother. I wanted to marry a wonderful man who I loved like crazy. I wanted to spend my life making big healthy babies and raising them in a home filled with love and security. The day I found out I was pregnant was on December 5, 2005 in Laie, HI -on my twenty-third birthday! I felt sick...not like you think. I had an agonizing sore throat and my eyes were disgustingly pink and gooey - yes, gooey. I woke up that morning and as a birthday present to myself I skipped class, called in sick to work and made myself an appointment at BYU-Hawaii's Health Clinic to see a doctor. At the doctor's office I was asked when the date of my last period was...calculating the math I realized I was about a week late for my period. They administered three test to me. All three came back positive. I had pink eye, strep throat and I was pregnant. A birthday that should have been tainted with misery and illness became the greatest day in my entire life! I received the best present that day. I got exactly what I wanted - to be a mother. I came home that afternoon on such a natural high. I paced around our studio apartment waiting for the second Mitch would walk through the door. I couldn't wait to share the news. When the moment finally arrived I handed him a white paper bag; in it were my prescriptions. As he took them out I said this one is for my ugly pink eye, this is for my sore throat, and without explanation he examined the bottle of prenatal pills. He read the label and said,"What are these for?" I told him I was pregnant! His reaction made the moment that much more special. His eyes lit up and a smile spread across his face! His energy encompassed the entire room. We then hugged each other and life finally felt like it started.
Now, to explain where we were exactly when our life began. We were poor, busy students, still trying to figure out what we wanted for our future. Mitch and I were both juniors in college getting ready to finish our last year at BYU-Hawaii. Mitch and I both had to pay for our own education. We worked our way through school, received pell grants and took out students loans to cover all of our bases. It was incredibly tough for us. At times it was frightening to not know if we had enough to cover all of our living expenses for the school year. We worked hard in school too. I think we were like most students. Most every student hopes that the burden of time and the obligations of financial debt they are pouring into their education will easily provide them with the keys to open all the doors of opportunities for their future. At moments you believe enough in yourself to commit to another semester and another student loan. All in hopes that it was eventually - somewhere down the road brighten your future. Realistically for us, this unplanned pregnancy added an additional stress. Even though we were so excited to welcome this baby into our family. The thought of inviting him into our still undecided future was daunting. I don't know why am telling you this in so much detail. l think I am saying all this because this is why I know that Marshall is special. Throughout my pregnancy, in quiet moments I would feel this overwhelming assurance speak to me. I can't describe it. It would bring tears to my eyes and a warmth that spread throughout my entire body. I was assured over and over again that this pregnancy happened exactly when it was suppose to happen and that the baby I was carrying was indeed special.
To this day I still feel the assurance that all things happen for a reason and that Marshall is so special. I believe he could change the world!
Marshall surprises me on a daily basis. I can't believe that he turned three! We celebrated his birthday by going bowling at Fort Belvoir with Nana & Pap Hepner, Gram and Pap, Aunt Trisha and Jenna. We then came back home to our apartment for pizza, cupcake & ice cream, games and presents! It was such a fun day! We love Marshall - He is the Life of our party!

6 comments:

Katy said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Marshall!!!! You're the very best out there!! Three! Wow, you're growing up so quickly, I hate to see this happen when we're so far away, but trust me, one of these days, you and Ava will be chums... maybe in college like your Mom, Dad and your Auntie Katy and Taylor were? Who knows?!
But you are LOVED and so LUCKY to have a great Mom who adores you and a Dad who is teaching you to be a great little man!! Happy Birthday, Big Guy!

Brittany Crane said...

I agree that Marshal is a special boy. He is seriously so sweet!! Aren't most boys bullies at that age? Thanks for sharing all the info it's fun getting to know you better.

Becki R said...

Feliz Cumpleanos to Marshall! Okay granted I am a little emotional right now anyways, you totally had me teary-eyed reading that! What a sweet story and what a sweet little boy to fit in your family!

crystal carlson said...

Happy Birthday to Marshall! I can't believe he is 3 already! He sounds like such a sweet boy & is such a cutie! You guys are doing an awesome job as parents, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing the story, it was really sweet to read :)

Melissa said...

yay!!! happy birthday buddy! he's so cute!!!

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

I can't believe Marshall is three! Time really does fly by fast. I'm so happy you are liking Virginia. If you can make through a hot humid summer, you guys can make it though anything! Trust me I know, I grew up in Michigan. Things are going well for Bryce and I. We are living in Boise once again, but this time we are here to stay for awhile. We find out this month if Bryce passed the Bar, if so he will keep his current job working as a prosecutor for Ada County. He's never been so nervous for one test result. I'm sure he passed, but it's still nerve racking. We love parenthood. It's an amazing blessing. Kyra has been an absolute joy! I love being a stay at home mom. I sure have learned a lot, and I appreciate my mom and dad so much more now that I have a baby of my own. Anyways there's a brief update. I hope to keep in touch with you more, especially though FB and blogging. Hope Virginia continues to feel like home for you. Have a wonderful week!