Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sometimes I Surprise Myself...

Sometimes I surprise myself. The best experiences in my life were the experiences I never planned for. These experiences made my heart jump, my mind twirl and gave my face a perma grin! Once in a while they were the experiences I fought hard to avoid. The ultimate experiences usually have been the - spur of the moment, sure- why not, let's make a memory, hope we don't die, you can't get arrested for this plans. Yesterday I made a, "I think I can...hope I don't pass out....I'm pretty sure I can't die from this" plan. I ran in my very first 5k run! Now, to some of you this is probably not a big deal. For a chubby chick like myself this was big deal. A friend of mine called this past Monday and invited me to run with her Tuesday evening in a 5k run at Bluemont Park in Arlington, VA. Hesitantly, I said I would. I know myself well enough to know that I like trying new things and I am all for challenging myself. Challenges make you a stronger, more useful person...if you live through them.

(Here is our BEFORE picture, L to R Melanie, Cheata, and Anna.)

Can see the look of fear in my eyes? Despite my anxiety of public humiliation, I really was looking forward to trying something I never thought I would ever seriously consider. Sometimes I need to do things that make me feel like I can believe in myself. Sometimes I need to surprise myself. It's fun to say, "Ta dah!"
Ta dah!!! I did it! I ran in at 35 minutes 15 seconds. Ten minutes faster then I thought I would. As you can see from our AFTER picture, I'm red in the face, and sweating like a very obese man. It was a challenge! After the first 10 minutes I thought to myself, "This is not fun, runners are crazy! I'll check this off my bucket list and never do it again." However, when I saw the half way mark I was cheering so loudly for myself that I almost wanted to shed tears out of excitement. The same way I do whenever I watch the, "Move That bus!" moment on Extreme Home Makeover. I couldn't believe myself. I was actually doing it, and I wasn't left in puff of smoke from the other runners like I had previously envisioned. Yes, I walked a couple of times until I got my second wind, then my third and fourth wind.
(Here's a shot of our shoes with our microchip tags. )

Let me tell you, running over that finish line was awesome! I love it when I surprise myself. Runners aren't crazy. Finishing something that you started is the greatest feeling. I know why they do it. It simply feels amazing.


6 comments:

Katy said...

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAHHH!!!!!! Anna, i'm screaming and jumping up and down for you right now!!!!! Seriously, this is a huge frikin deal and i wish i were there to give you a big fat sweaty hug at the finish line... I'm really proud of you, lady!

Keep it up, sign up for more races... soon you'll be in the Boston Marathon with all the hard-cores and running freaks... and I'll be on the sidelines spazzing out just for you!

ps. you look fantastic!

Melissa said...

oh yeah baby! that is why I run, right there. the feeling is indescribable!
grrrreat job!!!

rebekahmott said...

I ran my first 5k last year, and it happened the same way, you time to train just do it. I felt all of your same feelings. I loved it and have ran 2 since. I to love the feeling of I did it I actually did it. I can't belive I acutually did it Yeah for me and yeah for you!!

Nielson's said...

Good job! Ivdon't know if anyone told you, but I did the freedom run 5k, on the morning of the 4th of July, I wanted to run it 45 min and i surprised myself and did it in 42 min, i thought i was literally going to die! congratulations, isn't it so accomplishng? that is how i felt anyway! cause i am not exactly a skinny girl!

crystal carlson said...

Congrats Anna! That is so cool! You did a really good job--especially with only a few days to train! You'll have to let us know if you decide to do any more races!

Becki R said...

Way to go!!!! That is one thing on my list to do also and you seriously inspire me! Way to go girl! I don't think that you know I have always looked up to you so this just adds another thing to the list!