Sunday, June 14, 2009

Washington D.C. Zoo!

In the center of a metropolitan city lies a majestic destination. Combining the graceful fragility of Asian foliage with the paunchiness of a Panda sitting along an Asian trail and the incongruous stripes of an African Zebra, with the colossal strength of a Gorilla. What possible place could I be speaking of? I'll tell you. The Washington D.C. Zoo! Okay, okay... so you were probably thinking that I was going to say something a little more cooler then the ZOO, right? Well, let me explain to you what an amazing adventure it is to go with a two year old! (Brace yourselves - this may only be exciting to me.)
In preperation for our adventure Marshall, Mitch and I visited the Zoo's website to look at all the pictures of the animals, a couple of times actually, really we did...I've conveniently posted the Washington D.C. Zoo's website right here: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/default.cfm

When we approached the animals pins it was exciting to see Marshall's reaction. Marshall, and even I, were in aboslute awe at animals. Seeing their actual size, life and personality was incredible. The WashingtonD.C. Zoo has some of the most beautiful lions, elephants, hippos, aligators, cheetahs, wolves, orangutans, and a anaconda that completely unhinges my fear of dark water! The panadas were amusing to watch. Two of them were plopped down on their rears, reclined back against a large rock with their huge tubby bellies sticking out completely enjoying the shade of a tree. (They reminded me a lot of a couple of fat hairy guys that I've seen. None of which I know personally.)
Marshall's favorite animal was the aligator in the reptile house. This aligator, like most reptiles freaked me out.
My favorite animal was Mama gorilla with her baby. The picture that I took of them isn't the greatest; first of all I don't have a great camra and secondly, mama gorilla was kind of hidding with her baby behind some brush. It was absolutely adorable to watch her with this little cute baby clinging to her. I loved them!
No! This is not the gorilla picture that I was talking about. Andy - I know what you were thinking! That's rude! This was supose to be a picture of Marshall and I with the cheetah, but would you believe it - he kept moving out of the shot. It really is true that they are fast creatures
Mitch could not pick a favorite animal. He enjoyed watching this elephant drink from a little spiket. The elephants are really huge and entertaining to watch. It was a great adventure and exceeded our expectations!

1 comments:

Katy said...

you're BACK!!! Hurrah!! Love the zoo... love it! Looks like so much fun- you guys are awesome parents!!! and I love your writing, you're hilarious, I can just HEAR you saying some of the shenanagins-- Love it!